What do professors need to know about the Simulation Centre?
The Simulation Centre is a safe controlled learning environment where students bring theory and practice together. The Centre is located on the 4th floor with the following: 60 beds, 5 smart classrooms, 4 computer/debriefing room, 5 simulated high fidelity rooms, 3 storage areas, 1 nursing station/student area, 1 technologist/support staff office, an apartment and kitchen. The activities that occur in this area are: student self-practice, student-led workshops (CALS), skill acquisition, various teaching labs and the use of low to high fidelity simulation. The Simulation Centre is staffed with two faculty members, a technologist, a support person and several student assistants all of whom are available to provide support to the faculty and students during the academic year.
Room, Equipment & Supply Allocation
Classrooms and practice bed areas have been assigned to all faculty members who will be completing their lab time at the Simulation Centre; weekly for the entire semester. Your room numbers and time slots will be provided to you on the first day of classes. For those faculties that would like to have additional time in the Simulation Centre, you may book lab space by the following process:
Requesting Equipment & Supplies
Equipment and supplies can be requested on the same form that is used to request a room.
- Go to Simulation Centre website
- Click on the link at the top-middle of page, where it says Supply/Equipment Request Form
- Click on the link Listing of Equipment and Supplies (PDF) to see the complete listing of what is available. All stocked equipment and supplies are listed on this page, so if it is not listed, then it is not available for requests
- Fill out the rest of the form with the exact date and time that you would like to request the equipment
- Hit “Submit” button
Please be sure to fill out all information on the web-form for prompt service. Alecia Lin, Support Officer, will receive and process your room request. She will notify you by email of your room, equipment and/or supplies allocation. This process will take 72 hours. Please note that last minute room requests will be very difficult to fill. If your clinical area is in an outbreak please contact your clinical lead who will then inform the SPC staff, of the urgency of securing a room for your clinical group.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 8am to 6pm
Saturday 9am – 5pm*
*Evening, Weekend, Summer and Holiday hours may vary
Staff Contact Information
Rules of Conduct
Rules of Conduct
- Students are free to use the lab during operation times
- Students and Faculty will conduct themselves in a professional manner while in the SIMULATION CENTRE. Please talk quietly and do not interrupt supervised skill performances.
- Each student and Faculty member is to ensure that the working area is left clean and tidy and all equipment/furniture is returned to its original place.
- There is to be NO FOOD or BEVERAGES in any of the rooms at any time.
- The beds have a capacity of 400 lbs. Please ensure that there is only one person on the bed at a time. The beds are to be used for patient simulation and not as chairs.
- Every bed in the lab functions a little differently. Please ensure you know how to operate the beds properly.
- All teaching and viewing of videos is to be done in the demo rooms. Practicing and clarification of psychomotor skills are to be done in the practice rooms.
- When you are finished with the equipment and cart, please return it to lab.
- Students must wear their name tags when in the lab. Equipment may be signed out with a student ID card.
- All broken equipment must be reported to the staff and recorded in the appropriate binder for repairs.