There are several categories of awards to students from all academic centres are eligible for. Please select one of the options below for more information.
Michael Cooke Student Leadership Awards - for Graduating Students
About the Awards:
The Michael Cooke Leadership Awards were established in honour of Michael Cooke, who served George Brown College for 18 years in various leadership positions. Most recently, Michael was Vice President, Academic (2000-2011) and concurrently assumed
the role of Vice President, Advancement from 2009-2011. During his time at George Brown, he worked tirelessly to ensure that each student enjoyed a rich and rewarding experience at the college. The Michael Cooke Student Leadership Awards honour
Michael’s spirit, work ethic and dedication to community.
Nominations are open from January 7, 2019 to April 19,2019.
George Brown College faculty, staff, alumni and students may nominate any current student graduating in April 2019 OR recent graduate (Aug 2018 or Dec 2018) that meets the following eligibility guidelines:
- Recipients must be currently enrolled at George Brown College in either a full-time or part-time program. To be eligible they must:
- Be expected to graduate at June convocation.
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 (C+). Nomination packages for those who do not meet this standard must be accompanied by a letter of appeal signed by the candidate’s nominator detailing why the candidate should still
be considered. Exceptions will only be granted under justifiable circumstances.
- Students must have completed volunteer services for the college and/or the wider community. Students who have for-credit (e.g. student placement) or paid work (e.g. peer mentoring) that they participated in and for which they went above and beyond
the expected requirements to demonstrate significant leadership and commitment to enhancing the student experience at college or bettering their community may also be considered only if the student has also completed volunteer services.
- Students are only eligible to receive the Michael Cooke Student Leadership Award once in their academic career.
- Please note that there is no financial component to the Michael Cooke Student Leadership Awards. Winners will be presented with a framed certificate by GBC President Anne Sado, Chancellor Sally Horsfall Eaton and Michael Cooke.
- To nominate a student, please download the form below, read the instructions carefully and submit the nomination package via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the nomination form
For more information, please visit the Michael Cooke Awards page.