Frequently Asked Questions


The Guide to Students' Most Frequently Asked Questions

A-Z Subject Index


Accessible Learning Services

Accessible Learning Services works to reduce barriers to learning for students with disabilities. Common reasons students register with AL Services are to reduce barriers experienced in college related to learning disabilities, mental health concerns, physical disabilities, ADHD, or ASD.

If you are in need of academic accommodations, your first step is to register with the Accessible Learning Services Office on your campus by filling out and submitting an intake form. Our Intake Coordinator, Don Kezima, can provide you with guidance and support. After you have registered, you'll meet with an accessible learning consultant who specializes in academic accommodations for your academic program. The accessible learning consultant will work with you to recommend accommodations to your professors that will support your learning at college.

St. James Campus

200 King St. E., Room 582C
Phone: 416-415-5000 ext. 2107 
Fax: 416-415-2272

Casa Loma Campus

160 Kendal Ave., E., Room C317
Phone: 416-415-5000 ext. 4585
Fax: 416-415-4582

Waterfront Campus

51 Dockside Dr., Rm. 225
Phone: 416-415-5000 ext. 5370

George Brown students at Ryerson

99 Gerrard Street East, Room SHE597
416-415-5000, ext. 2621

Adding and Dropping Courses

How do I add/drop courses from my timetable?

Most students can add/drop courses online through STU-VIEW. To add/drop a course online, log in to your STU-VIEW account, then select Registration Services > Registration > Register for….

You may then select courses to add to your timetable, or de-select courses that you wish to drop from your timetable. To submit your new selection, click on the 'Submit Registration' button and then agree to important college policies. You will then see a confirmation page with your updated courses

Important Notes:

  • It is your responsibility to ensure that your course registration is accurate. After adding/dropping courses, please check your confirmation page and/or your timetable to ensure that the correct courses have been added/withdrawn.
  • If you stop attending a course but do not officially drop or withdraw from it, you will receive a failing grade (F) for that course on your college transcript.
  • Dropping a course may affect your status as a full-time student and, consequently, may impact your eligibility for financial assistance (OSAP) and/or Student Association Health Insurance. Normally, a full-time student is defined as someone registered in at least 66 2/3% of a full course load in a given semester. You may have to return an OSAP loan if your status changes to part-time.
  • Students may add courses to their timetables up until the fifth day of classes, space permitting. Students may drop courses from their timetables up until the Last Day to Drop a Course without Academic Penalty. Please see the Important Dates webpage for exact dates.

I'm unable to add/drop a course online. What should I do?

In some cases (i.e. for specific programs), you will be asked to seek Academic Advising prior to dropping courses. If you cannot drop courses online, please visit your Academic Department.

If you need to add a course to your timetable that is not available to you online, you will also need to visit your Academic Department. If approved, you will be set up to register online for the additional course(s) by your Academic Department. Please note that additional fees may apply.

What if I need a special timetable?

Returning students who require a special timetable will need to see their Academic Department for assistance. Please note that additional fees may apply.

Students with special timetables may not be able to add and/or drop courses online. Instead, you will be required to speak to an academic advisor prior to dropping and/or adding courses to your timetable.

Advanced Standing

Students applying for advanced standing are seeking admission to a semester higher than semester one for a particular program of study. Upon admission, a student who has been granted advanced standing is given credit for previously-completed courses in a related area of study, which enables direct entry to an upper semester of the program.

For more information, visit the Advanced Standing section of our website or contact the Admissions Office at

Advocacy Services

Can I get assistance with the resolution of a College-related issue?

Yes, the Student Association's Academic Advocacy Program is dedicated to providing students with the guidance and support for academic appeals and to resolve academic issues face during the course of studies at George Brown College.
You can reach them at:

Advocacy Hotline, (416) 415-5000 ext. 6320
Senior Coordinator of Academic Advocacy (416) 415-5000 ext. 6319
Health Sciences Academic Advocacy Coordinator (416) 415-5000 ext. 6377

More information can be found at Student Association Academic Advocacy

Counselling provides students with advice on College policies, procedures, rights responsibilities and also general guidance on how to resolve complaints and where inquiries should be directed.

Call or visit the Counselling Office
St. James Campus, Room 582C,
Tel: (416) 415-5000 ext. 2674 or e-mail

Assessment Tests - Math/English/Science

Please see Testing - Assessment and Placement.


Bookstore Refund Policy

Please refer to Campus Store Refund Policy

Bursaries, Scholarships and Awards

What kinds of bursaries, scholarships and other financial awards are offered at George Brown?

Through very generous contributions from individuals, organizations, and companies, George Brown College is able to offer various scholarships and awards to students. These are based on financial need, academic merit, and/or college/community involvement. Applications for awards, scholarships and bursaries are available through the Student Awards portal on STU-VIEW.

Awards are considered part of a student's taxable income for the year. The college will issue T4A forms to all recipients in the spring of the year following the year in which the award was paid.

Scholarships, awards and bursaries are subject to change without prior notice, and are subject to conditions as may be set down by the college and/or the organization or individual offering the award.

For questions regarding bursary and scholarship programs, contact the Awards Office. Awards are also listed at Awards and Scholarships Application Information.

George Brown College Student Assistance Fund

Through funds set aside from tuition fees paid by all full-time students, the College offers bursaries to students who demonstrate financial need. . Bursary applications are available on STU-VIEW in Fall and Winter semester. In Spring/Summer semester, the applications are available through Financial Assistance Offices at all four campuses. The deadline to apply is in the last week in September (for Fall semester), and the last week in January (for Winter semester). We advise you through STU-VIEW or e-mail as to the results of the bursary application. Bursaries are non-repayable but are subject to tax depending on amount awarded.

Please also see Counselling & Career Coaching Services.


Campus Jobs

Please see Financial Assistance, Work-Study Program.

Career Services

Did you know that we work closely with students from the time they begin their studies at GBC? We help guide students in their career development plan so that they are confident and prepared for employment success when they graduate. Our services include;

  • Developing a clear career direction; career options available, pathways, skills required and labour market information
  • Identifying and developing essential employability skills; including teamwork, communication and problem solving
  • Online resume & interview coaching
  • Social branding-marketing yourself with potential employers, including using social marketing effectively
  • Many opportunities to network with employers

Don't delay, come visit us at one of our 3 locations:

  • St. James - 200 King Street, B155 (lower level)
  • Waterfront - 51 Dockside Drive, Suite 019 (concourse level)
  • Casa Loma - 160 Kendal Avenue, Suite C317

or at Career Services

Changing the Information in Your College Student Records

See Student Records.

Child Care Services

Does George Brown College have child care facilities?

George Brown College operates 12 child care centres in various locations. A limited number of child care spaces are available to George Brown students. Since spaces are limited (especially spaces that are subsidized by the government), applications should be submitted early. For more information about child care, call (416) 415-5000, ext. 2359. Information about child care opportunities is also provided in the Full-Time Programs Guide.

Class Cancellations

How do I find out if my class is cancelled?

While every effort is made to ensure that scheduled classes run on time, unforeseen circumstances such as illness or accidents sometimes cause class cancellations. In this case, every effort is made to contact students.

To find out if your class has been cancelled, you can:

In the event that advanced notice is not possible, cancellation notices will also be posted outside classrooms.

How do I find out if the college is closed?

To find out if the college is closed due to bad weather or other circumstances, you can:

  • Check our website at
  • Listen to local radio or television stations
  • Call the Contact Centre at 416-415-2000, 1-800-265-2002 (Toll-Free), or 1-877-515-5559 (TTY)


I don't have a computer. Are there computer labs on campus?

Each campus library has a network of computers available to you for academic research, including the use of online and CD-ROM databases, web-based resources, and hardware and software specific to the classes taught at each campus location. All computers are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

If you need to use a computer for web access you may visit an Open Access Computer Lab. Open Access computer Labs are located within the Library Learning Commons (LLC) at the Casa Loma, St. James, and Waterfront campuses as well as the Sally Horsfall Eaton, 341 King Street and 300 Adelaide satellite LLC locations.

For Hours of Operation and Location please visit the Hours of Operation web page.

You will need your student ID and password to have access to the computers. If you have forgotten your password please go to or the service desk at LLC for assistance.

Self-directed hours are listed on your timetable for class room labs. For additional lab time please check with your Academic division.

We also have a number of bookable computers. To make a reservation, please click this link and log in using your student number and STU-VIEW password.

In addition, you can borrow laptops (for 8 hours) and iPads (for 7 days) at each of our campus library. Just bring your student card and ask at the Circulation/Helpdesk of your library about borrowing one of these items.

Counselling Services

Being a college student can be really difficult – for many reasons!

Being a college student is challenging, whether you have just finished high school, are a mature student, or an international student. There are so many pressures and stresses! Sometimes it helps just to talk about it. Counselling is a supportive, confidential service, offered at every campus. Same day appointments are usually available and if you are in crisis, you will be seen by a counsellor immediately. We also will help to connect you with resources in the community if needed.

A counsellor can help you with academic or personal concerns, such as anxiety about how you are doing in your courses, relationship issues, or self-esteem concerns. Counsellors have training and experience and will tailor your sessions to meet your needs.

Drop by the counselling office on your campus, call us, or email for an appointment. If you have the name of a specific counsellor just ask and we will do our best to accommodate you. Otherwise, you will get an appointment with any one of our counsellors at a time that is convenient for you.

How to schedule a counselling appointment?

Visit or phone the counselling office at your campus
St. James: 200 King St. E., Room 582C
Phone: 416-415-5000 ext. 2107 (Fax: 416-415-2272)

Casa Loma: 160 Kendal Ave., E., Room C317
Phone: 416-415-5000 ext. 4585 (Fax: 416-415-4582)

Waterfront: 51 Dockside Dr., Rm. 225
Phone: 416-415-5000 ext. 5370

George Brown students at Ryerson
email Carrie Bailey ( for an appointment

Or e-mail us. (If you do not receive a timely reply, please phone.)


Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, Accessible Learning Services

If you are Deaf or are hard-of-hearing, a range of services is offered including American Sign Language interpreting, notetaking, tutoring, modified course load, and/or adaptive technology, depending on your needs.

As soon as you are registered as a George Brown student, please contact the Accessible Learning Services Office to fill out an intake form and meet with an accessible learning consultant to arrange your academic accommodations. Some of our accessible learning consultants are fluent in ASL. You will find an intake form at Accessible Learning Services.

Deaf and Hearing Services – Accessible Learning, Office locations:

St. James Campus (SJA), Room 173B-A
(416) 415-5000, ext. 4654
TTY at 1-877-515-5559

You can also reach the office by fax at (416) 415-2161 or by e-mail to Karen Walker, Accessible Learning Consultant.

Disability Services

Please see Accessible Learning Services.

Dropping Courses

Please see Adding and Dropping Courses.



Please see General Education Electives


Please see Student Email

Emergency Funding

I am experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties. How can I get immediate financial assistance?

Limited emergency funds may be available if you are facing unforeseen financial difficulties as a result of injury, theft, or illness. Speak to a Financial Assistance Consultant at your campus. The bursaries are non-repayable but are subject to tax depending on amount.


Financial Assistance

Also look under the following specific sections in this document:

Work Study Program

This program allows students to work on a part-time basis throughout the College, to a maximum of 15 hours per week at $11.25 per hour. Funds for this program come from tuition fee payments of all full-time students and acceptance is based on financial need. Students locate their own job through any of the campus departments (such as, Athletics, your own Faculty, the Library, etc), complete a Work Study application form with the employer for submission to the Financial Assistance Office. The Financial Assistance office must approve your application, after which the Human Resources department must receive an employment agreement completed by the student and employer, before the student can begin work. You can also check GBCareers and Field Education for part-time jobs available on campus.

For questions regarding Work Study please call 416-415-5000 ext. 2488

Are there other campus organizations that will help me find work, prepare a résumé, etc.?

George Brown College's Counselling & Career Coaching Services uses Workopolis Campus to post employment opportunities from employers who specifically are looking for George Brown students and graduates. WorkopolisCampus is the Internet job-posting site for full-time, part-time and continuing education students and graduates of George Brown College.

All students, whether they are full-time, part-time, Continuing Education or program graduates, can pick up their password from any Counselling office. They will be asked to show their Student ID Card or their registration receipt as proof of enrolment in a course or program in the College.

Workopolis Web Site

The Peer Program

The Peer Program has a number of positions available if you are a full-time student in a post-secondary program. The Peer Program hires responsible, committed students for the following positions: Peer Tutors, Peer Advisors, Peer Career Assistants and Special Projects Peers. These positions pay between $10 and $12 per hour depending on the duties, and allow you to work up to a maximum of 15 hours a week depending on your schedule and the demand for service. You can pick up an application and receive more information about these positions at your campus Counselling & Career Coaching Services office.

Other Services

If you need help preparing your traditional/scannable résumé or cover letter or would like to receive coaching for a job interview, contact the Counselling & Career Coaching Services office on your campus for a workshop schedule or a personal appointment. Students can also access online resources - through the Current Students web site.

Counselling & Career Coaching Services

St. James Campus

  • Room 582C - Tel: (416) 415-5000, ext. 2107

Casa Loma Campus

  • Room C317 - Tel: (416) 415-5000, ext. 4585

Counselling & Career Coaching Services

St. James Campus

  • Room 582C - Tel: (416) 415-5000, ext. 2107

Casa Loma Campus

  • Room C317 - Tel: (416) 415-5000, ext. 4585


General Education Electives (GenEDs)

What is General Education?

General Education courses are a vital component of all post-secondary certificate and diploma programs. These courses are designed to enable students to enhance their critical thinking and analytic reasoning skills and to broaden their knowledge and experience through the study of arts and humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. By learning and collaborating with peers in a variety of programs, students develop communication, teamwork and problem-solving skills that are essential in their personal and social lives and highly valued in all career fields.

What are the General Education requirements at GBC?

Students in diploma programs are required to take four General Education courses. General Education courses are grouped into three broad categories: Arts and Humanities (coded as GHUM), Social Science (coded as GSSC) and Science and Technology (coded as GSCI).

According to college policy, students must take General Education courses from at least two of the three categories in order to graduate. This policy is called the General Education breadth requirement. Students are responsible for ensuring that the General Education electives they take fulfill the breadth requirement.

In most diploma programs, there are one or two mandated General Education courses (in other words, General Education courses that the program has decided all students must take), and the remaining two or three courses are electives. If your program's mandated General Education courses are from the same category (e.g. both GSSC), you must choose at least one elective from a different category in order to fulfill the breadth requirement. Students in certificate programs are also required to take General Education courses, but the breadth requirement does not apply.

Each program selects specific semesters in which students are scheduled to take General Education electives. To find out when you will take electives in your program, please check the "course outline" link on your program's web page.

Before you choose an elective, please check the General Education requirements for your program here.

How do I choose a General Education elective?

First, check the General Education requirements for your program to find out whether you need to choose an elective from a specific category in order to fulfill the General Education breadth requirement.

Next, check the list of electives that are offered to students in your program. You can do this by logging in to your registration page through STU-VIEW – the list of elective offerings is below the list of program courses – or by going to General Education and Liberal Studies Electives. In the "Current Elective Offerings" section, click on the name of your campus (Casa Loma, St James or Waterfront) and then look for your program in the elective package.

To read descriptions of the courses offered, go to General Education and Liberal Studies Electives and look for the Course Descriptions section. The descriptions are organized by category: Arts and Humanities (GHUM), Social Sciences (GSSC) and Science and Technology (GSCI).

How do I apply for an exemption from a General Education elective?

If you have completed General Education or Liberal Studies courses at another post-secondary institution and you earned a grade of 60% or higher, you may be eligible for exemption from one or more of your electives.

For information about how to apply for an exemption/credit transfer, please go to General Education and Liberal Studies Electives

What if I didn't take an elective in the semester when it was required, or I failed or dropped an elective?

If you do not take an elective in the semester when it is required in your program, or if you dropped or failed an elective, you may need to pay additional fees to take the course in a later semester, and your elective options will be reduced. There are specific elective registration dates for students who are taking an elective outside of the semester when electives are offered in their program. These course offerings are also subject to availability. It is strongly recommended that you take your electives in the semesters during which your program schedules them.

GO Transit Passes

How do I get a student rate to travel on GO Transit?

Full-time George Brown students are eligible for GO Transit student fares via the PRESTO card, where you can save over 15% on travel via GO Rail and GO Bus. Further details on GO's Student ID program can be found on the GO Transit website

But first you need to get a valid GO Transit Student Validation Sticker. Pick up your sticker at any campus Welcome Desk or Service Centre by showing your schedule and Student ID card.

For more information on passes or schedules, the GO Transit information line can be reached toll-free at 1 (888) GET ON GO (438-6646); or online at the GO Transit Website


How do I get a copy?

To receive a copy of a grade, check STU-VIEW account.

See also Frequently Asked Questions about Records (Transcripts; Education Verification; Graduation, Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees; Grades).


Health Insurance

General Information

The Student Association of George Brown College offers the Student Health and Dental Plan. Each campus has a Student Association Office where students can access information about the plan, receive assistance in filling out claim forms, and pick up their Pay Direct Drug Card. 
All student questions/concerns should be directed to the Student Benefits hotline at (416) 415- 2443, email or by visiting their respective campus Student Association Office:

  • ST. JAMES - Room 147
  • CASA LOMA - E100
  • Waterfront- Room 033
  • RYERSON - Room SHE614

Note: The Student Benefits Plan opt-in/out deadlines for 2019/2020 are as follows:

Students starting in September: October 10, 2019
January New Start Students: February 6, 2020
May new start students (international students only): Please contact one of Student Association offices.

For Family enrolment, the deadline for submitting these applications along with payment is October 10, 2019 for September enrolment, and February 6, 2020 for January new enrolment. No applications will be accepted after the posted deadlines.

Holds on Students Accounts

How do I correct a financial or academic hold on my student record?

For financial holds, contact the Accounts Receivable department at 416-415-5000 ext. 4408. For academic holds, contact your academic office. Please see Academic Departments for contact information.


Is there an on-campus residence at George Brown College?

Applications are available now on our residence page. Please note that the residence is currently on a first come first serve basis and you may be placed on a waitlist.

Off-Campus Housing:

For off campus housing info, please visit the Places 4 Students website

This registry contains listings of private accommodations within the Greater Toronto Area. You can visit the Housing Department either at the St. James Campus - Room B130 or the Welcome Desks at the Casa Loma Campus the Waterfront Campus.

Is the housing listed in the registry close to the College?

Since private individuals list the residences for rent, they could be located anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area. It is always a good idea to look at a map of the area and to view the dwelling before signing any rental agreements. Please call the Student Housing Office at (416) 415-5000, ext. 2101 or (416) 415- 5000, ext. 2296 or visit our website at Housing Services for more information.

How much can I expect to pay for rent?

Rents may vary depending on the quality, privacy and location of the dwelling. Most rents listed by the Housing Service are within the following ranges:

Shared Accommodations:

  • $400 - 600 per month

Private Accommodations:

  • Bachelor - $600-750 per month
  • One-bedroom - $750-1,000 per month
  • Two-bedroom - $900-1,400 per month
  • Three-bedroom - $1,500-2,000 per month

Rental listings are also published in most local newspapers, including the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail , as well as a free publication called Renter's News. These publications are not associated with George Brown College they are listed here for your convenience.

Are there in-town residences where students might live?

There are independent residences that house many of our students. Rooms are limited so apply early. Visit the Housing Office at your campus for more available options.

How to Apply

For programs at George Brown College apply at the Ontario Colleges website, the application processing service owned and operated by Ontario's publicly-funded colleges. There is a non-refundable fee to apply (see the Ontario Colleges website for details).

How do I contact

Call the Customer Contact Centre at 1 888 892 2228 or click 'Ask Us' at the Ontario Colleges website.

The mailing address is

  • Ontario College Application Services
    60 Corporate Court
    Guelph, ON
    N1G 5J3

What do I need to do about my transcripts?

What you do about transcripts depends on a number of things.

  • If you are in high school in Ontario let your guidance office know you are applying and they will send your transcripts to the Ontario Colleges websitefor you.

  • If you are currently in high school in another Canadian province, you need to send one (1) official transcript to the Ontario Colleges website.

  • If you are out of high school, you need to arrange with your last high school to have one (1) official transcript sent to the Ontario Colleges website. Depending on where you went to high school, you may be able to request your transcript electronically through the transcript request service at the Ontario Colleges website. If not, contact your last high school directly.

  • If you have attended an Ontario college or university, order your official transcripts through the transcript request service at the Ontario Colleges website.

  • If you attended a college or university outside Ontario, but still in Canada, you must request that the institution you attended send an official transcript to the Ontario Colleges website.

  • If you are sending documents from any educational institution outside of Canada, you need to send an original or certified copy of the documents and an official English or French translation, if the document is not in English or French, to the Ontario Colleges website. There is an international document assessment fee of $60.00 to evaluate your credentials.

Find out more about How to Apply.


ID Cards

See also George Brown College Student Photo ID Card

How do I get my photo I.D. card?

Q: Who is eligible for a Student Photo Identification (I.D.) Card?

  • active registered full-time students who pay the assessed photo I.D. fee
  • active registered tuition short program students who pay the assessed photo I.D. fee
  • Redirection Through Education (RTE) and 'FOR YOU' Program students
  • active international full-time students
  • part-time Con-Ed student who pay extra $12.00 (optional)
  • Apprentice program student who pay extra $12.00 (optional)

Q: What do I need to get my photo I.D. card?
A: Students obtaining their new student photo I.D. card must present personal identification and proof of registration/payment.

Q: Where do I get my photo I.D. card?
A: Go to:

  • Casa Loma Campus :Library Learning Commons
    160 Kendal Avenue, Room C330
  • St. James Library Learning Commons
    Lower level - 200 King St. E., Room -B137 (Basement); after 6:00 p.m. ID card service will be available at upper level Helpdesk.
  • 341 King St. E., 3rd Floor, Room 367 
    ( Card pick up only for students who submitted photo on-line, No Photo session is available at this location, Please go to 200 King for photo session)
  • Waterfront Library Learning Commons
    Level 6(Entrance level) - 51 Dockside Drive, Room 618
  • Ryerson Campus:
    • Location: One Card Office,
      Jorgenson Hall,
      Room JOR-02,
      350 Victoria Street
    • Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
      Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
  • You may contact the Ryerson One Card Office at

Q: How do I submit on-line photo?
A: Go to /studentcard/ .  Watch the video on how to submit you photo on-line.  Click “Click her to submit your phot online.  You can choose to have you card pre-printed for you at your campus photo ID location.

Q: How to access my Digital ID?
A: The digital ID is located on GBC apps.  Install GBC apps on you mobile device.  Login to the app located close to the top of the drop-down menu.

Q: How can I use my photo I.D. card?
A: George Brown College's student photo identification card is more than just student I.D. It has the capacity to improve access to services and help reduce cash transactions during your life at George Brown College.
Your photo I.D. will identify you as student at the College giving you access to many of our facilities, including the Open Access Computer Learning Centres; be your Library Learning Commons (LLC) Borrower's Card; and be a "venda-card" for cashless photocopying and printing.

Q: What do I do to activate my photo I.D. card as a library borrower's card?
A: Your GBC Photo-ID card must be activated in the Library before use, otherwise the number will not be recognized. To activate your card, please visit the Library Help Desk in person or send us an email.
Many of GBC's library resources are also available from outside the college, using Off-Campus Access but your card will need to be activated first. Be sure that you carry your I.D. card with you at all times since you will need it to check out material from the LLC and to access a variety of services on campus.

Q: Do I need to get new Student Photo Identification Card every year or every semester?
A: No. Your photo I.D. card is a permanent card that is issued in your first semester. The cost is covered by a student I.D. fee that's paid in the first year instalments.

Q: I lost my photo I.D. card. What should I do?
A: To avoid unauthorized use and responsibility for misuse, including financial liability, you must report lost or stolen cards, as well as changes of address, to the Photo ID Office in your Library Learning Commons.
A replacement charge of $12 is charged for lost or damaged cards. Ryerson, however, charges $30.00 to replace the Ryerson/George Brown College Photo-ID card. 
The Library Learning Commons (LLC) Help Desk has a file of lost and found cards, so check your campus LLC first before purchasing a replacement card!
Currently the Photo-ID Office can accept cash only. You may pay the photo ID fee on-line by using STU-VIEW or pay at the Student Services Office. Please print your receipt and bring it to your campus photo ID location with a piece of Government-issued photo identification.

Q: I am a returning student. What do I need to do?
A: Your card is still valid. No updates are required for the card

Q: I am a student in the Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Assistant or the Activation Coordinator/Gerontology program in the Sally Horsfall Eaton Centre on the campus of Ryerson University. Do I need Photo-ID at Ryerson?
A: Yes, you will need a Ryerson University Photo-ID card that specifically identifies you as a George Brown College student on the campus of Ryerson University. You will need this card to access all Ryerson services, including borrowing from the Ryerson library, photocopying and printing.

Q: What do I need to get my Ryerson University/George Brown College Photo-ID?
A: In order to get your card, you must bring 2-3 pieces of personal identification (2 only if one piece contains a photograph), and your completed Ryerson University/George Brown College Photo-ID Authorization form to your picture taking session.

Q: Where do I get my Ryerson University/George Brown College Photo-ID Authorization form?
A: George Brown College will be mailing authorization forms to new students the beginning of August and December. Students registering thereafter may pick up their authorization forms from the Early Childhood Education Office on the 5th Floor of the Sally Horse Fall-Eaton Centre. Please be sure to bring identification.

Q: When and Where do I go to get my Ryerson University/George Brown College Photo-ID?
A: You may obtain your Onecard:

  • Regular Location and Hours:
    Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
    Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
    Location: One Card Office, Jorgenson Hall, Room JOR-02, 350 Victoria Street

Q: How long is my Ryerson University/George Brown College Photo-ID valid?
A: You Photo-ID card is valid for the whole time you are taking courses at George Brown College.


Late Admits

Just prior to the start of each semester, the college will process applicants on the spot for programs that have space available. You can view available (open) programs at Program Availability for Domestic Students.

Applicants will then have to apply or their program of choice though the Ontario Colleges website. In order to have your application sent to the college, you will have to pay the $95 (for academic year 2019-2020) application fee. Your application will be uploaded to the college one business day after your application is completed.

Once the college has received your application, you will need to present any required documentation, including transcripts, high school or equivalency diplomas, landing papers (if applicable), and valid personal identification. Admissions representatives will be located at the Student Service Centre at both the Casa Loma and St. James Campuses (Fall and Winter) and at Casa Loma for Spring. Admissions staff will process your application on the spot and will be able to offer you a space in the available program, provided you meet all admissions requirements.

The fastest method for updating an Ontario Colleges application to include an amended program choice is by calling Ontario Colleges toll-free at 1 (888) 892-2228 - they are open Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Ontario Colleges will usually be able to make the requested program change while you are on the telephone.

Liberal Studies Electives

What are Liberal Studies electives?

George Brown College's Liberal Studies electives are designed to enable students in degree programs to expand and deepen their knowledge and understanding of the humanities (LHUM), sciences (LSCI), and social sciences (LSSC).

In order to fulfill the Liberal Studies breadth requirement, electives must be completely unrelated to the student's core program of study. While the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences tries to ensure that students in particular programs are excluded from taking courses that overlap with core subjects, ultimately it is the students' responsibility to ensure that they do not take Liberal Studies electives that repeat curriculum in their program area. Before registering in electives, students should read the course descriptions to make sure the courses they select do not duplicate the content of their program courses.

How many Liberal Studies electives will I take as part of my program?

The Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB) requires that at least 20% of the course hours in all degree (baccalaureate) programs focus on subjects that are outside the core (or main) field of study. Therefore, at least six of the courses in all degree programs are non-core, or "breadth" courses, and many of these non-core courses are Liberal Studies electives. For specific information about your program's Liberal Studies elective requirements, please go to Liberal Studies Requirements.

What kinds of electives must I take?

Students in degree programs take a combination of lower-level and upper-level electives. Lower-level electives introduce students to the key concepts in subjects such as psychology, sociology, art history, and environmental science, and upper-level electives explore key issues in these subject areas in greater depth, often from an interdisciplinary perspective. To fulfill PEQAB's requirement that students take breadth courses that require more than an introductory level of subject knowledge, students must complete at least three upper-level Liberal Studies electives. Students must also complete Liberal Studies electives from at least two of the three categories (LHUM, LSCI, and LSSC).

I have already completed a diploma program. Can I transfer credits from the diploma to fulfill the degree program's Liberal Studies requirements?

According to George Brown College policy, students who have earned a grade of "B" or higher in TWO diploma level General Education electives may be eligible for exemption from ONE lower-level Liberal Studies elective.

If you are a GBC graduate, the Registrar's office will apply eligible diploma-level General Education courses with a grade of "B" or higher to your degree Liberal Studies requirements. If you have completed diploma courses at another institution, you must submit transcripts and course descriptions to the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students can earn a maximum of two Liberal Studies elective credits through a diploma-to-degree transfer.

Library Learning Commons (LLC)

How do I access the Library Learning Commons (LLC)?

Each major campus has a Library Learning Commons. For Early Childhood Education students, there is an Academic Resource Centre in the Sally Horsfall Eaton Centre on the campus of Ryerson University. Our collections reflect the programs taught at each campus. We subscribe to a number of full-text databases that are available online both on and off campus through our website at Library Learning Commons. You’ll need your student number and STU-View password to access online articles and eBooks off campus. You will need your GBC Photo-ID or a Library card to borrow print books and DVDs from the library. Please check here for more library related FAQs.

LLC locations
LLC hours

Special information for Early Childhood Education / Early Childhood Assistant programs: Students in these programs need a Ryerson University/George Brown College Photo-ID card. (See also: ID cards). With this card you will have access to the Ryerson Library (except for databases). The Academic Resource Centre (ARC) provides Open Access Computing, on-site use of the Video Collection, and access to GBC databases.


How do I get a locker?

Registration for you Locker is available on STU-VIEW. Please visit Frequently Asked Questions about Locker Service Program for details.

Locker Service Policy.


Name Changes

For in-person name changes, students will need a valid Marriage Certificate (for proof of surname changes), Legal Name Change document, Birth Certificate or Driver's License.

Net Cost View

Please see the Net Cost View and Net Tuition Summary Q&As


OCAS (Ontario College Application Services)

What is OCAS?

OCAS is the application processing service owned and operated by Ontario's publicly-funded colleges. There is a $95 charge for applying to George Brown or any other college in Ontario. For the most current information, please consult the Ontario Colleges website.

Application fees are not refunded for duplicate applications.

Application fees will not be transferred from one application cycle to another. The only exceptions are:

  1. If the applicant's only college program choice has been cancelled by the college. In this case a refund or transfer is processed on request only.
  2. If an applicant who originally applied for the Fall intake has been offered early admission (summer semester) by the college, Ontario Colleges will not charge another application fee in this case.

Ontario Colleges will hold applications received without payment and notify the applicants that, to retain the original received date of their application, payment in full must be received at Ontario Colleges within 14 days of the date of notification of non-payment.

Ontario Colleges will notify applicants that if payment is not made within a two-week period, the application will be withdrawn. The date that the payment is then received is considered to be the date that the application is received.

A $20 fee is charged for returned cheques, (e.g. post-dated or stale-dated cheques, NSF cheques, "stop payment" cheques, cheques drawn on accounts which have been closed or in which funds have been frozen).

Orientation for Programs

New Student Orientations (including Up and Running New Student Preparation Days, Deans Welcomes, Week 3 Service Fairs) are a great way to meet fellow students, staff and faculty and get you started on the right track. These days focus on getting started, getting involved and succeeding. Ongoing orientation and Student Life activities will ensure you are in the know of the many supports and services offered to assist in your success.

You can also consult the website for up-to-date information at:
Social Events Campus Calendar, Student Associations.

OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)

What is OSAP?

When you fill out an OSAP application you are applying for assistance funded by the provincial government (Ontario Student Loans and Grants Grants) and/or the federal government (Canada Student Loans and Grants). You may also check with the Financial Assistance office to investigate other sources of financial assistance available to you.

The application form can be accessed at You may also be required to complete electronic Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement following the instructions provided during your application process. Submit your OSAP application no later than the deadline of 60 days before the end of your current full-time study period (of the current academic year).  Any additional supporting documentation must be received by the Financial Assistance Office no later than 40 days before the end of your current full-time study period (of the current academic year).  

If you have been approved for OSAP, your funding will be released in two instalments, according to the details provided in your online OSAP account. The funds will be electronically transferred to your bank account once the school confirms your enrolment.

For problematic issues you can contact one of our Financial Assistance offices at St. James or Casa Loma campus. Be prepared to show your Social Insurance Number Card and government issued photo identification for assistance. For service, you must get a Q-matic number at the Student Service Centre and wait until your number is called.

St. James Campus:

Location: 200 King St. E. in the Student Service Centre.
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Casa Loma Campus:

Location: 160 Kendal Ave. in the Student Service Centre
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.


I haven't applied for OSAP yet. What should I do?

Apply as soon as possible, at You cannot receive funding if you apply less than 60 days before the last day of your current full-time study period (of the current academic year) If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Assistance Office at

NOTE: BScN (S118) collaborative degree Nursing students please note that if you are attending the George Brown College site for the first two years of the program, you must indicate "George Brown College" on your OSAP form.

I am a part-time student. Can I apply for financial assistance?

You may be eligible for a Canada and Ontario Part-Time Student Loan and/or Grant, by applying to the Ontario Student Assistance Program for Part-Time Students. This provides students with funding to study from 20% to 59.9% of a course load for OSAP-qualified courses. Proof of income is required with your application for both you and your spouse if you are married.

What should I do if I want to appeal my OSAP assessment?

You can contact the Financial Assistance Office at your campus to check for possibility of a review. One of the consultants will see if there is anything that can be done to help. There are many exceptions to the regular assessment, so some assistance may be available. You may also be eligible for additional financial assistance from the Student Assistance Fund and part-time jobs offered through the Work Study program.


Password for students

You should have received your password in the mail. All students who have been accepted to the College are assigned a password. If you have already been assigned a password but have lost it, you can contact the Contact Centre at 416 415-2000, or 1-800-265-2002. You can also use this number to report any problems you are experiencing. Please keep your Password private-it protects your personal information.

For password assistance you may also visit the Self-serve Password Utility.

Detailed instructions on resetting your password can be found online at:Help With Accessing the College's Information Technology Systems.

Password for Faculty/Staff

Please go to Self-service Identity Manager to reset your password. If you continue to have difficulty, call the Contact centre at (416) 415-2000.

Detailed instructions on resetting your password can be found online at:
Help With Accessing the College's Information Technology Systems.

Only the Contact Centre can reset your password if you are staff or faculty.

Peer Support

Academic and Student Affairs offers a peer support service: PeerConnect!

Peer coaches work out of the PeerConnect centers at each campus and offer one-on-one coaching, 20 minute workshops, weekly activities, and events. Following PeerConnect's motto: "study well, work well, live well", peer coaches provide leadership in developing academic skills, essential employability skills, and health and well-being skills. Activities such as weekly free healthy food demonstrations, meditation sessions, time management workshops, and therapy dogs happen at all campuses

Visit any one of our campus locations

  • St. James – next to Tim Horton's, outside the cafeteria
  • Waterfront – concourse level, outside Career Services
  • Casa Loma – in Career Services, 3rd floor, C building

Or connect with us online at the Peer Connect section of the main website

Photo ID

See ID Cards.

Placement Testing

See Testing - Assessment and Placement.

PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition)

I already have work experience related to courses in my program.
How can I get credit for this?

Prior learning assessment & recognition (PLAR) is a process that gives you the opportunity to obtain academic credit for one or more courses in a certificate, diploma or degree. You will need to demonstrate that you have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge through life experiences. This may include work, training, independent study, volunteering, travel, hobbies and family experiences. This is not equal to a Course exemption. (For academic exemptions, please see Exemptions.)
PLAR is done on a course by course basis. If a course covers material you already know, you can ask for an assessment of your knowledge. This is called a "challenge." For example, if you have done a lot of graphic design work, you might challenge some of the courses of a Graphic Design Program from the School of Design. To assess your learning, you may be:

  • Tested with written or oral exams, interviews, or case studies or
  • Assessed through a portfolio of your work that shows your skills or
  • A combination of both

Your learning will be evaluated as it would happen in a classroom environment and your assessment will be graded. This grade will appear on your transcript (PLAR does not result in an exemption), and will count towards your Grade Point Average (GPA).

Part-time Continuing Education students may receive PLAR credits for up to 50% of their program courses towards the attainment of a certificate.

Full-time students may receive PLAR credits for up to 75% of their program courses.

NOTE: Earning credit through the PLAR process may affect your status as a full-time student and, consequently, eligibility for OSAP and/or Student Association Health Insurance.
Contact your program coordinator or the PLAR Office for detailed information about the PLAR process.

Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)

Casa Loma Campus
C Building, Room C317
PLAR Web page
Office hours: Monday - Friday, from 8:30 am – 2:30 pm



See Paying Fees and Registering

Replacement Credentials – Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees

If you require a replacement of a Credential (Certificate, Diploma or Degree), you must request one by completing a Credential Replacement Request Form. The completed from can be submitted in person ( to any Student Service Centre), or by mail or fax. Valid photo I.D. is required for in person pick up (student card, Driver's License, or a Passport). The Credential Replacement Request Form and instructions for its submission can be obtained online here


"The George" Student Residence is George Brown College's first ever residence building. It served as the athlete's village for the 2015 Pan-Am/Parapan-Am games before being converted for our use as a student residence in time for the 2016-17 fall semester.

It is a modern 505-bed, accessible facility, meeting LEED Gold environmental standards. Student suites are furnished 2-bedroom units that include Wi-Fi and cable television along with a kitchenette and washroom. The residence has ample common spaces including, a games room, community kitchens, BBQ patio, fitness room, and study rooms.

On-site staff offer resources and supports, as well as integration to the college services, and social programming designed to create a living, learning environment.  

Other features include a security system with card access, laundry facilities, and extensive bicycle storage.

Applications are found on our residence page.Please note that the residence is currently on a first come first serve basis and you may be placed on a waitlist.

If you require Off Campus Housing, please see the information posted on our Housing Office section of the website.

Returning Students Information Sessions

Are you thinking about returning to school? We offer information sessions throughout the year to help you with questions that you may have about admissions requirements, financial assistance, student services and application procedures. Register on-line



Please see Bursaries, Scholarships and Awards.

Second Career

Second Career is a Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities program that supports laid-off individuals who require skills training to assist them to find employment in demand occupations in Ontario. Through Second Career, applicants may obtain assistance with tuition, books and supplies, transportation, living, and other expenses associated with training. Please visit Second Career for more information.

Advising services for Second Career-funded students are available by appointment or drop-in through the Community Partnerships Office (CPO). Second Career Program Officers provide guidance to students on a wide range of related resources and issues and coordinate with other relevant departments at the College to improve the Second Career student experience.

Second Career Program Officer
Community Partnerships Office
264B Adelaide Street East
St. James Campus
416 415 5000 x 3714 or 6995

Social Events - Campus Calendar

How can I meet new friends and get involved in campus life?

Watch for the following Student Association and College-sponsored events.

See also Student Association.


What information is required if I am being sponsored?

If you are being sponsored it means that someone else is responsible for paying your tuition fees. The College will require an official (original) sponsorship letter with total amount covered and invoice instructions from your sponsor authorizing the college to bill them for your tuition fees. The letter must include the name and billing address of the sponsor. The letter must be forwarded to the Finance Office (Attention: Manuela Vietas).

Student Associations

How can I meet new friends at George Brown College?

Many exciting social and educational events happen throughout the year at George Brown. Here are some places where you can find out what's happening:

  • GBC Student Association - find out about social events, student clubs, and becoming a student representative, call (416) 415-5000, ext. 2455;

  • Athletics and Student Life offers a variety of sports and recreational activities at all levels. Call (416) 415-5000, ext. 2176 or (416) 415-5000, ext. 4714;

  • The GBC Alumni Association offers a free Mentor Program that matches alumni with current students. For information (416) 415-5000, ext. 2535;

  • Check the Dialog Newspaper and the bulletin boards for announcements about pubs, films, and special events that take place throughout the year;

  • For information on workshops, tutoring and employment postings, call Student Affairs:
    1. St. James (416) 415-5000, ext. 2107
    2. Casa Loma (416) 415-5000, ext. 4585

Student Awards Office

The Awards Office can help identify which of the many scholarships, awards, bursaries, and grants available to George Brown College's students you may be eligible for and assist with the application process.

For more information, please visit us in the Student Service Center or on the web through Financial Aid

Student Identification

Please see ID Cards.

Student Records

The information contained in a student record is confidential and pertains to the individual student only. It is imperative that the information contained in each student's record is up-to-date. This information includes items such as name, address, phone-number, e-mail address, marital status, and date of birth. Students can update their information by visiting their academic office; dropping by the registration counter on any campus; or accessing the on-line service, STU-VIEW, via the Internet. To make changes, students will need a valid student number and password. For in-person name changes, students will need a valid Legal Name Change Certificate, Marriage Certificate (for proof of surname changes), Birth Certificate or Driver's License.

See also Frequently Asked Questions about Records (Transcripts; Education Verification; Graduation, Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees; Grades)


STU-VIEW is George Brown College's online student information system. You will need your student ID number and password to access your STU-VIEW account.

By logging into your STU-VIEW account, you may do the following:

  • Register for Your Program
  • Switch or Add/Drop Courses
  • Pay Your Fees
  • View Any Holds on Your Account
    • Please note that holds on your account (e.g. overdue fees, library fines, academic standing, etc.) may prevent you from registering or may prevent your diploma/certificate/transcript from being issued.
  • Update Your Contact Information
  • Book Your Placement Test(s) – 1st Year Students
  • Apply for Student Awards
  • Apply for Transfer Credits
  • View Your:
    • Timetable
    • Grades (Unofficial Transcripts)
    • Academic Progress (CAPP) Report
    • What-If Analysis Report
    • Registration Letter & Invoice
    • Statement(s)
    • Tuition Tax Receipt (T2202A)
    • Net Cost View & Tuition Summary
  • Submit Your Photo & Pay Your Photo-ID Fees
  • Rent a Locker
  • Track your Admissions Applications – Go to the 'Admissions Application Summary' tab
  • Book Your Admissions Test(s)

Problems Accessing STU-VIEW?

If you are having trouble using STU-VIEW or have forgotten your password, please call the Contact Centre at 416-415-2000, 1-800-265-2002 (Toll-Free), or 1-877-515-5559 (TTY) and an agent will assist you.

To request your password in person, please visit the Student Service Centre at the Casa Loma, St. James, or Waterfront campus. Please note that you will be asked to provide identification.

For detailed information on managing your password, please visit the following webpage:


Testing - Assessment and Placement

Please visit Assessment website for the most recent and correct information regarding the testing.


When do I get my timetable?

Once you have registered, your timetable will be immediately available online. To view your timetable, log into your STU-VIEW account and then select Registration Services > Registration > View Weekly Timetable.

You can also request a copy of your timetable by visiting the Student Service Centre at your campus.

Your timetable lists the days, times and locations of your courses. It is important to check your timetable on STU-VIEW frequently, particularly the week before classes begin. Circumstances may require us to make changes to your schedule.

Can I make changes to my timetable?

If you have problems with your timetable, you may log into your STU-VIEW account to add/drop courses or to select a different section (space permitting) up until the fifth day of classes.

You may also visit the office of your Academic Department for assistance with changing your timetable.

My name is not on the class list. What should I do?

If your name is not on the class list, please go to your Academic Department office for assistance. A Student Action Form may need to be completed so that you can add the course(s).


Official Transcripts

For information on how to request an official transcripts, please visit Transcripts, Credentials, Confirmations of Enrolment & RESP Requests  

Unofficial Transcripts

If you require an unofficial transcript, you may print one using STU-VIEW.
See also Frequently Asked Questions about Records (Transcripts; Education Verification; Graduation, Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees; Grades)

Transfers for Continuing Education Students

Please see the policy for Transfers on the Continuing Education website.

Transfer Credits

How do I apply for a transfer credit (exemption)?

New and current students can apply online to transfer credits from another post-secondary institution to George Brown College. If you are approved for transfer credit, you will then be exempted from completing the equivalent course(s) at George Brown.

To access the online Application for Transfer Credit, you must first accept your offer of admission. Then you must log in to your STU-VIEW account and select Registration Services > Registration > Submit or Modify an Application for Transfer Credit.

In order to evaluate your application, we will require the following:

  • Official transcripts
  • Detailed course outlines
  • A valid e-mail address

Important Notes:

  • The online application will open approximately two months prior to the start of each term. The last day to apply for transfer credits is the first day of the term.
  • Be sure to register for—or remain registered in—the course(s) you are applying to be exempted from. This way, you will be properly registered in your program's required courses should your application for transfer credit be denied. Be sure to attend all classes until your exemption has been approved.
  • On average, students can have two exemptions in any one term before dropping to part-time status, which can impact tuition fees and OSAP eligibility.

For detailed instructions, please visit the How to Apply for Transfer Credits Online webpage.
For non-academic exemptions, please see PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition).

If I am granted a course exemption, can I take a different course in its place?

If space is available, you may be able to register in another full-time post-secondary course as a replacement for your exempted course. Please visit your Academic Department for more information.

Transit - Local

How do I get around in Toronto?

Toronto's subway and bus systems are quite efficient.
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is available 24 hours per day and seven days per week to assist you. The TTC can be reached at (416) 393-INFO or (416) 393-4636. Telephone information is now available in the following 18 languages: Albanian, Arabic, Cantonese, Farsi, French, Greek, Italian, Korean, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Tamali, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
You can also visit the TTC website. The website offers route, fare and Presto Card information as well as detailed maps. If you do not have Internet access from home, you can access the TTC website from any on-campus computer lab terminal.

I live outside of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). How do I get a student rate to travel on GO Transit?

Please see GO Transit Passes

Tuition Fees

What are my payment due dates?

Full-Time Post-Secondary Students: Payment due dates for each semester will be listed on your invoice. Your invoice will be sent to your mailing address and posted online.
To view your invoice online, please log in to your STU-VIEW account, click on the Financial Services tab, and then select the View Registration Letter & Invoice option.

For the 2019-2020 academic year, the tuition fee due dates are as follows:

Tuition Fee Due Dates for 2019-20 Part-Time or Continuing Education Students:
Your tuition fees must be paid in full at the time of registration.

Where can I find more information about my tuition fees?
For more information, please see the Tuition Policy FAQs for full-time post-secondary students.



How do I get help with my course material?

If you are having difficulties with some of your courses, the Peer Tutoring Program can provide small group assistance in its peer tutoring labs.

Most tutors are second or third year students who have completed training workshops and are paid by the college. The best part is that tutoring is free.

If you need a tutor, don't wait until the last minute. Sign up now in the Counselling Office at your campus.

St. James: Room 582C
Casa Loma: Room C317

Tutoring and Learning Centre (TLC)

The Tutoring and Learning Centre is an academic service supporting students in developing core academic English, math and accounting skills. The TLC is a great place for students who

  • would like to improve English, math and/or accounting skills to be more successful in their courses at George Brown
  • would like to become more independent and confident learners
  • believe learning with others fosters their own learning

The TLC offers

  • one-to-on and small group tutoring
  • workshops and learning groups
  • online and on-site resources

TLC locations:

  • St. James – Room 430A
  • Waterfront – Room 538 (access through the Library)
  • Casa Loma – Room C344 (access through the Library)
  • Ryerson – Room SHE 677
  • 290 Adelaide - Room 119

Booking is available online, over the phone and in person.
For more information and to book, visit the TLC at



How do I withdraw from my program of study?

Prior to withdrawing from your program, you are strongly encouraged to speak to an academic advisor, counsellor, or faculty member to explore your options. In many cases, there may be an alternative to withdrawing from college altogether.

To officially withdraw from your program, you must submit a withdrawal request prior to the published deadline. Not attending classes or simply notifying the professor of your intention to withdraw is not an acceptable notification for program withdrawal. Failure to officially withdraw will result in "DNA" (Did Not Attend) or "F" grades on your final transcript.

Withdrawal Procedure for Domestic Students:

Domestic students must submit a withdrawal request via one of the following methods:

  • Log in to your STU-VIEW account, select Registration Services, and then follow the links to withdraw from your program.
  • Visit the Student Service Centre to fill out and submit a Student Action Form, indicating your intent to withdraw. Click here for locations and hours of operation.
  • Write a letter stating your intention to withdraw, and including your student ID number and the program code. This withdrawal request must be signed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar:

George Brown College
ATTN: Office of the Registrar
P.O. Box 1015, Station B
Toronto, ON M5T 2T9
Fax: 416-415-4289

If you have applied for an OSAP loan, you must also inform Financial Assistance (OSAP) of your decision to withdraw.

To be eligible for a partial refund, you must submit your withdrawal request by the tenth day of classes. If you do so, you will receive a full refund of tuition fees for the semester, minus the $500 non-refundable deposit. After the tenth day of classes, students will no longer be eligible for a refund, but may still withdraw from their program until the Last Day to Withdraw from a Program without Academic Penalty. See the Important Dates webpage for the exact date.

Withdrawal Procedure for International Students:

International students must complete and submit a Withdrawal/Refund Request Form to the International Centre located at 200 King St. East (Main Floor), Toronto.

International students who withdraw prior to the published refund deadline will receive a full refund of tuition fees for the semester, minus a $1000 withdrawal fee (for the majority of programs). For more information, see the International Student Withdrawal & Refund Policy.