Frequently Asked Questions for Students with Disabilities

Get started

Can I receive support at George Brown for barriers related to my disability?

George Brown has services to support students with many types of disabilities, both permanent (long-term) and temporary (short-term), including:

  1. mental health concerns
  2. learning disabilities
  3. acquired brain injury
  4. ADHD—attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
  5. blindness or low vision
  6. autism spectrum disorder
  7. Deaf, deafened and hard of hearing
  8. medical or physical—such as mobility and neurological disabilities, epilepsy, diabetes
How do I sign up for services?

It’s easy to register with Accessible Learning Services — just follow these steps:

  • Print, fill out and sign the confidential intake form
  • Collect your supporting documents
  • Submit your intake form and supporting documents
What if I think I might have a disability but I don’t know for sure?

Students may be currently undergoing a psychological or psychiatric assessment or medical testing that has not yet resulted in a diagnosis.  Students may also be experiencing challenges that lead them to believe they may have a disability.  If you think that you have a disability, or if you are in the process of being assessed, you should contact Accessible Learning Services to discuss possible supports.


Keep your privacy

Do I have to disclose my disability to others?

While you do not need to disclose your disability to your professors, if you choose to use academic accommodations, your professors may need to have a copy of your Student Accommodation Plan. Your Accessibility Consultant will communicate with your professors on your behalf, as required.

Students with mental health disabilities are not required to disclose their diagnosis to access support within the college. However, you should contact Accessible Learning Services to find out what you need to register.

Does my disability show on my academic transcript?

No, your disability and your use of disability-related accommodations do not appear anywhere on your transcript or official school documents.


Work with Accessible Learning Services

What are learning accommodations?

Accommodations are specific supports which reduce the barriers your disability presents so that you can achieve your academic goals. Each accommodation is unique to you and your courses and can be for classroom supports or for tests or exams.

Do I have to set up all of my accommodations in advance?

The earlier you set up your accommodations with your Accessibility Consultant, the better. During your course of study, your accommodations may need to be reviewed or revised, depending on the demands of specific courses, field placements and other factors.

Students with temporary accommodations will need to meet with their Consultant each semester to review whether the accommodations are still required or if they need to be changed.

I don’t have a disability.  What kind of supports and accommodations are there for me to deal with problems in my life so I can do better in school?

Many students who do not have a disability experience stressors or life situations that impact their academic performance. We encourage students to meet with a Counsellor to discuss their situation and explore options for support.

What is a Student Accommodation Plan?

The Student Accommodation Plan lists all of the accommodations that you are entitled to, both in the classroom and for tests and exams. Your Consultant will communicate your Plan to your professors for you as required.

How can I study better?

Talk to your consultant about George Brown’s peer tutoring, coaching and mentoring.

  • Our Tutoring and Learning Centres (TLCs) offer peer-tutors to help you learn how to study, write papers and edit and proofread your work.
  • Our Peer Mentor + are friendly, drop-in places to meet with other students and share what works. They offer regular workshops and study groups.
How should I give feedback to Accessible Learning Services?

We want to hear about your experience with us—both positive and negative. Our goal is to provide excellent support services for students with disabilities.

  • Usually, your consultant is the first person that you will talk to you.


    Talk to your professors

    What should I say to my professors?

    Your Accessibility Consultant will communicate your Student Accommodation Plan to your professors for you as required.

    The earlier that your professors know about your accommodations, the better, so that they can work with you to meet your needs in the classroom or on tests and exams.

    If your accommodations change during the semester, your professors will need a copy of your revised Accommodation Plan from your Consultant.

    Talk to your Consultant if you have questions about how best to communicate with a professor, or what you should say to them.

    What if my accommodations are not being met?

    If you feel your accommodation needs are not being met, talk to your Accessibility Consultant right away.

    If you have any concerns about the service we provide to you, contact the Manager, Accessible Learning Services at 416-415-5000 ext. 2962


    Find financial support

    What kind of funding is available for students with disabilities?

    In addition to the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), there are further options for students with disabilities. Talk to your consultant.

    While students with permanent or temporary disabilities are eligible for accommodation and support at George Brown College, students who are receiving OSAP assistance must also meet their eligibility requirements. To access the Bursary for Students with a Disability or the Canada Study Grants for Persons with Permanent Disabilities, a student must:

    • Be eligible for OSAP
    • Have a permanent disability
    • Provide documentation of their disability