WHAT TO EXPECT ON CONVOCATION DAY?
- Guests should plan to arrive at least ½ hour prior to the ceremony.
- You need to show your tickets to the staff at the doors. There will be no admittance without tickets.
- There are seats reserved for graduates. Please do not occupy the seats marked as "reserved".
- Grads and guests should plan to stay for the entire convocation and reception, approximately 3 hours in duration.
- If you have guests that are unable to attend your ceremony, we will be streaming it live. It can be viewed on George Brown's website at www.georgebrown.ca/convocation.
ACCOMMODATIONS FOR GRADUATES & GUESTS WITH DISABILITIES
The Meridian Hall is wheelchair accessible.
- Please advise us of your requirements prior to convocation by completing the information on the RSVP form or e-mailing email@example.com
- At the ceremony, staff members will be there to assist you. Please report to the Customer Service Kiosk upon arrival at the Meridian Hall.
- There will be Interpreters at each ceremony.
At 9:00 a.m. for 10:15 a.m. ceremonies
At 12:00 p.m. for 1:15 p.m. ceremonies
At 1:30 p.m. for 2:45 p.m. ceremonies
At 4:30 p.m. for 5:45 p.m. ceremonies
CUSTOMER SERVICE KIOSK/SIGNAGE
George Brown staff will be happy to assist you at the Customer Service Kiosk. When you arrive at the Meridian Hall, watch for George Brown signage, which will assist you in finding your way around.
- Register – to confirm that you are in attendance.
- There will be signs indicating your program. Please go into your program line and let the staff know your name.
- You will be given a card upon registration. This card will have your name, program and a number. It is important to keep this card with you at all times. We will use this card to line you up and call your name during the ceremony.
The card will be taken from you when you go on stage.
- If your name is incorrect, please print the correct information on the card and advise the person at the Customer Service kiosk, after the ceremony. More than likely your degree, diploma or certificate will also be incorrect and will
have to be replaced.
- You should now proceed to the Gowning Area.
GOWN & HOOD
- A gown & hood (hood for degree graduates only) will be available for you to pick up. The gown size will be based on the height that you indicated on your reservation to attend convocation.
- There is no requirement for a gown or hood deposit, however if the gown or hood is not returned you will be billed accordingly.
- Gowns must be returned promptly after the ceremony, that is, before you go to the reception.
- The professional photographer on site will have gowns if you need to take pictures.
- All graduates in the procession MUST wear a convocation gown.
ASSEMBLY & MARSHALLING
In order to be part of the convocation procession, members of the graduating classes are asked to assemble in the line-up room at least 60 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
You must have your registration card and your gown.
- Numbers will be posted on the wall. Please proceed to the line that reflects the number on your registration card.
- Staff will be around to ensure that you are in numerical order. This is important, because your credentials are sorted this way.
- About 30 minutes before the ceremony the procession of graduates will be marshalled to the reserved graduate seating area, followed by the platform party.
- Please turn off your cell phones and/or pagers prior to being marshalled into your seats.
- Award winners and valedictorians - After receiving your credentials, please sit in the designated seats in the theatre. This will make it easier for you to go back on-stage for your presentation.
We encourage you to arrive at least 1 ½ hours before your scheduled ceremony. If for whatever reason you are unable to get there on time and arrive while the graduate procession is being marshalled to their seats or after, you will be considered late.
We will make sure that you walk across the stage; however, you will go across the stage at the end of the procession and not with classmates. It is important that you proceed as requested, since we want to ensure that your credential is available when
you go backstage.
The George Brown staff cannot take responsibility for your personal belongings at the convocation ceremonies. Please leave items with your family and friends
PRESENTATION OF CREDENTIALS (DEGREES, DIPLOMAS AND CERTIFICATES)
On signal from the convocation staff, graduates will proceed in single file on to the platform. Remember to have your registration card available. The card will be taken from you on stage. As each graduate's name is read, he/she should proceed
across the stage to shake hands with the President, Dean and academic staff. Once you go back-stage, you will receive your credential. Students who graduated from the summer or fall semesters will not receive another credential, but
will receive an envelope with a congratulatory letter.
This procedure will continue until all graduates have been called.
Graduates are asked to return to your original seats after receiving your credential.
If you are an award
winner, proceed to the designated seats.
Family members and friends are encouraged to remain in their seats and enjoy the ceremony. Pictures can be taken either before or after the ceremony.
Graduates from the Winter semester who are not in attendance at the convocation
ceremony will be mailed their credential two weeks after the ceremony.
CONCLUSION OF CEREMONY
At the conclusion of the ceremony, the recessional will be played and the platform guests will be the first to leave the theatre, followed by graduates and then guests.
Please return your gown & hood before proceeding to the reception.
All graduates and their guests are cordially invited to a reception following the convocation ceremony. Light refreshments will be served.
PLAN YOUR VISIT TO CONVOCATION
For information on parking, public transportation, and local restaurants please visit the Meridian Hall website.
Office of the Registrar, Records Department,
P. O. Box 1015, Station B
Toronto, Ontario M5T 2T9