In 2005/06, a Green Team was created as part of the College Council structure. In 2006/07, in an effort to better leverage and align college-wide Green initiatives with the college's strategic plan, the Green Team became an official committee of the college Co-Chaired by the Vice President of Corporate Services, Eugene Harrigan, and the Dean of the Centre for Construction and Engineering Technologies, Nancy Sherman.
Specific accountabilities of the Green Team include:
- identify short-term greening initiatives to engage and educate the College community in conservation and demand management practices;
- develop a long term strategy (Green Plan) for the greening of campus operations and facilities aimed at increasing efficiency, reducing waste, increasing diversion of waste and conserving resources;
- ensure the alignment of College-wide Green initiatives with the College's strategic plan;
- provide a forum to integrate sustainability themes within College curriculum related to program and course curricula;
- provide a forum to link College curriculum related to environmental sustainability to other corporate services, and in particular related to the college plant;
- establish and manage sub-committees to study specific environmental issues as required, to gather stakeholder input and ideas, and to build accountability and buy-in for recommended solutions and policies to address specific environmental issues.
- carry out a campus sustainability assessment and develop a sustainability "report card" that can be updated and reviewed annually by the College;
- identify opportunities for transforming the College's campuses into learning laboratories for demonstration of sustainable technologies, and
- support faculty in developing curricula to prepare students with skills required to tackle the challenges of a sustainable society.
Subcommittees of the Green Team have been formed to address different areas for improvement
- Policies and Green Procurement;
- Paper use;
- Food Services;
- Sustainable Transportation;
- Communications and Awareness; and
- Sustainability in the Curriculum.
The Committee, through the Chairs, will make recommendations to the President and Management Committees on substantive College policy changes.
- The Green Team will meet once every two months and at the call of the Chairs.
- Meetings will be open to all interested parties throughout the college.
- Those interested in making presentations to the committee will be scheduled as appropriate into the agenda.
- Approved minutes will be kept of all meetings and posted on Insite at http://insite.georgebrown.ca/.
- In establishing policies and resolving issues, Green Team members are expected to act on behalf of the College overall.
- Each member is expected to attend all meetings.
Members are be expected to have a mandate from their areas to participate in proposing initiatives and for being responsible to link this back to their areas as appropriate for implementation.
Green Team Members:
||Division / Company:
||Pre-Community Services, School of College and Work Preparation
||Manager, Campus Stores
||Project Manager, Green Building
||Research and Innovation
||Simluation Centre Manager
||Nursing, Centre for Health Sciences
||Campus Manager, Waterfront Campus
||Campus Manager, Casa Loma Campus
||Acting Chair, Fashion Studies
||Student Sustainability Squad Leader
||Assistant to the Chair
||School of Liberal Arts & Sciences
||Student Life Assistant
||Student Service & Campus Life: Student Orientation
||Professor, Culinary Arts & Hospitality Studies
||Hospitality and Culinary Arts
||Manager, Academic Space & Design Planning Planning
||Arts, Design & Informatics
||Professor, Denturism Program
||Community Services and Health Sciences
||Professor & Curriculum Specialist
||Residential Life Manager
||Senior Coordinator, Academic Advocacy
||Centre for Preparatory & Liberal Studies : Liberal Arts & Sciences
||First Aid Attendant
||Human Resouces, Health & Saftey
||Chief Information Officer
||Chartwell's Food Service
||Campus Manager, St. James Campus
||Corporate Buyer, Purchasing
||Manager, Student Integration and Support
||International and Immigrant Education
||Centre for Continuous Learning
||Business, Arts and Design
||Community Partnership Office
||Training and Development Associate
||Assistant to the Director
||Marketing and Communications
||GBC Green Team/Sustainability Co-ordinator
||Division / Company:
||Executive Assistant to the VP of Corporate Services
||Office of Applied Research