Skip Navigation
Working in Canada

Program Comparison Help

Decision-making made easy! This tool gives you a breakdown of individual programs offered at George Brown College and how they differ from other programs you’re interested in. Use this tool to select up to 10 programs to compare, helping you make the right choice for the career you want.

1. Under Program Comparison, click Add a New Program

2. Search for one of the programs you’re interested in (either alphabetically, by interest or by job)

3. Click on the title of the program in the menu

4. Click Add to Comparison

5. Continue searching for programs using steps 2-4

6. When you’re done, clicking Program Comparison will give you a preview of the programs and the option to delete, add or clear all

7. Open Program Compare for more details and an easy-to-read comparison of the programs you’ve selected

Future International Students

Working in Canada


Toronto is home to most of Canada’s major employers in financial services, tourism, fashion, software development, manufacturing, communications, entertainment, design and health services. For example, GM, Ford, IBM, TD Bank, and the Toronto Stock Exchange all have their offices in and around Toronto. The city and the College offer you unparalleled opportunities to gain valuable work experience with leading employers while attending college and after graduation.

Field Education

Many employers look for real world work experience when hiring new graduates and this is where George Brown can give you a competitive edge in the job market. Most of our programs have a field education component, which means you have a valuable opportunity to work and learn with industry partners that may become your future employer.

Early Childhood Development students work alongside childcare experts in one of nine of the College’s own daycare centres. Many of our Hospitality students do their externships in global hotel chains located just blocks from the College.

Co-Operative Education (Co-Op) is an important component of many of the programs in our Centre for Business, where students spend at least one full-time, four-month paid or unpaid work term in a job related to their field of study. For more information, visit the Co-Operative Education page.

Co-ops, externships, internships, field education and practicums – all of these ultimately mean one thing: gaining valuable work experience as part of your program.

International students who are undertaking any kind of field education (co-op, externship, practicum, clinical, etc.), regardless of length, must have a valid co-op work permit. You can submit this application at the same time as your study permit application. For more information, please visit CIC’s website at:

Working During Your Studies

As a George Brown student, you may be eligible to work both, on- or off-campus. To qualify, you must have a valid Study Permit and be registered full-time in a certificate, diploma or degree granting program of at least six months in duration. You can work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks. You do not need a work permit; however you must have a Social Insurance Number that you can apply for after you arrive in Canada.

Working After You Graduate

You may also be permitted to work and earn income for up to 3 years in Canada after graduation. You will need to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit to do so. Please be advised that a small number of programs at the College (B412, Analytics for Business Decision-Making; B413, Digital Media Marketing; and T402 Health Informatics) may not be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit due to the higher % of online delivery in the program as specified in letters of acceptance. Toronto offers one of the most vibrant and diverse employment markets in Canada for you to add North American employment experience to your resume. For more information, please visit CIC’s website at:

Career Services

Gaining the necessary skills and knowledge is key to getting the job — but is not enough by itself. That’s where George Brown’s Career Services department comes in, with free services to help you sharpen your job-hunting skills. From career workshops to an online job board ( to individual consultations with an advisor, Career Services is here to help you succeed. For more information, visit