Skip Navigation
Program Comparison (0) About Program Comparison

Program Comparison Help

Decision-making made easy! This tool gives you a breakdown of individual programs offered at George Brown College and how they differ from other programs you’re interested in. Use this tool to select up to 10 programs to compare, helping you make the right choice for the career you want.

1. Under Program Comparison, click Add a New Program

2. Search for one of the programs you’re interested in (either alphabetically, by interest or by job)

3. Click on the title of the program in the menu

4. Click Add to Comparison

5. Continue searching for programs using steps 2-4

6. When you’re done, clicking Program Comparison will give you a preview of the programs and the option to delete, add or clear all

7. Open Program Compare for more details and an easy-to-read comparison of the programs you’ve selected


Congratulations on your decision to study at George Brown College! With all of the excitement about coming to Canada and to a new college, it can be difficult to remember all the little details. The information here will help you to complete the essential tasks you need to take care of before you depart for Toronto.

Once you arrive at George Brown College, our friendly staff at the International Centre will inform and guide you so that you are ready to start classes and take advantage of every aspect of campus life.


All George Brown students are given an e-mail address which must be activated. Activate your account after you register for your courses and before classes begin.

It is vital that you activate this account because important notices from the College , including your invoices, assignments from your teachers, and communications from College staff will be made through your George Brown e-mail account.


As a student who is not a citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you must obtain a study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to study in Canada for more than six months. 

You should consider applying for a study permit even if you are planning to study for less than six months. You must apply outside of Canada for a new study permit (For information on how to extend a study permit, please visit Visas & Immigration - How to extend your Study Permit. You can apply in your home country or you can courier your application to a Canadian Consulate General (See CIC website for locations).

Apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your Letter of Acceptance from the College.  It can take up to four to six months to complete the application process.

What  You Need to Apply for Your Study Permit 

  • Your original acceptance letter from the College.
  • A valid passport.
  • Proof that you have enough money  to pay for tuition and living costs for you and any family members coming to Canada.
  • To satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  •  A personal interview with the visa officer may be required;
  • If you are applying for a study permit to study less than six months, you should include a letter that explains why you are applying. The letter will inform the visa officer that you understand your options.
  • A processing fee of $125.00—for more information see payment options at the Immigration Canada website  
  • Click here to start the Application Process.  

PLEASE NOTE: Students in programs that require placements involving hospital, geriatric, disabled, community, or childcare settings and/or interaction with families and children in Canada are required:


If your application is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction confirming the approval. This letter is not your study permit. When you arrive in Canada, you must show this letter to a Canadian officer at the port of entry. 
If you are from a country for which Canada requires a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) it will be placed in your passport. Check the dates issued on this document. You must enter Canada before your TRV expires.

Port of Entry 

When you arrive at Canadian Immigration at the port of entry (i.e. airport in Canada), you will be issued your study permit and may be asked for the following documents:

  • The letter of introduction from the visa office that you received when your study permit was approved (this contains your permit reference number and the officer needs this letter to issue your study permit).
  • Your passport, Temporary Resident Visa if required;  
  • Copy of your acceptance letter from George Brown College;
  • A list of any items that you are sending separately (i.e.,  not cleared personally on your date of arrival); and
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada.

Benefits of having a Study Permit 

  • You can work on campus at the college or university at which you are registered as a full-time student.
  • You can renew your study permit within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada. Original study permits are only issued at Canadian visa offices outside Canada

For more information on Study Permit, Work Permits, and Visas, please visit (insert link to immigration documents on the current student website)


Your spouse or common law partner and your children must meet all the immigration requirements for temporary residents in Canada. You may be required to provide birth certificates and marriage certificates for all family members. Include them on your application by providing their names and other information in the appropriate space on the application form.

Open Work Permit Holders (including those in CIC’s Post-Graduation Work Permit Program), as well as their spouses and dependants, may be eligible for Ontario Health Insurance Coverage provided they are employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of six months, have a valid work permit during this time, and:

  • Maintain  primary place of residence in Ontario; and are
  • Physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and are
  • Physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province
  • Further information on the changes concerning Temporary Foreign Workers    

For more detailed information regarding OHIP eligibility and the changes to OHIP eligibility rules refer to the Eligibility fact sheet.   

To speak with someone regarding your OHIP eligibility contact the INFOline at 1-800-268-1154 or visit your local Service Ontario – Health Card Services – OHIP office.