Intensive English Program
Are you preparing for a college or university education? Are you interested in improving your English communication skills for personal or professional reasons? The George Brown College Intensive English Program offers a rewarding learning experience in a multicultural setting. If you do not meet the George Brown College English language requirements, this program provides access to college diploma, postgraduate and degree programs.
George Brown’s Intensive English Program (IEP) offers 9 levels of full-time English instruction
Each level is 8 weeks long:
- Students study at least 24 hours per week
- New students are tested the week before the program starts to determine
their English ability and their starting level. Upon successful
completion of a level students are promoted to the next level.
- The 8th level prepares you for diploma and postgraduate (without co-op) studies at George Brown. Successful completion meets GBC’s English language requirement for most professional programs at the College.
- There is a level 9 for students who plan to pursue a degree program or postgraduate program with co-op. It’s an 8-week academic preparation level.
Included with the Program:
- Access to all College facilities, including free Internet and computer use, cafeteria, gymnasium and exercise rooms, and Student Centre.
- Helpful staff to assist students and provide service in several languages
- The ESL Resource Centre and a multimedia computer lab for computer-assisted language learning, plus access to video, audio, books and periodicals.
- Practice your English outside of regular classroom instruction with our informal conversation groups, guided by experienced language tutors.
- An on-site Advisor to provide assistance in choosing post-secondary program options.
All professors are highly qualified, TESL certified university graduates and many have international teaching experience. Involved in the training of new ESL teachers, they practice according to the highest professional standards and current methodology.
The ESL Business Program
This is English study for students planning a full-time academic Business program. You can enter after completing level 6 in the Intensive English Program. It focuses on real-life communication skills required in business settings:
- Listening comprehension skills for lectures and meetings
- Pronunciation practice for clear communication
- Writing effective paragraphs and summaries
- Reading and understanding business-related articles
- Discussion of marketing, finance, the stock market, corporate governance and structure
- Projects and activities include simulated investment portfolios, case studies, Internet research assignments, marketing simulations, and business-oriented field trips.
IEP Dates 2013-15