Withdrawal & Refund Policy

  • NewWithdrawal

  • George Brown College’s international student withdrawal/refund policy complies with Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development directive and Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) regulations. Applicants and students who have paid for and accepted an offer (confirmed) and/or registered for a place in a GBC program are subject to this policy. The policy applies to all new and returning, full time, part time, and co-op students.

    To be eligible for a partial refund, you must submit a formal written notification by completing/signing a type-written GBC Withdrawal/Refund Request Form on or before the deadline date.  The fillable Withdrawal/Refund Request Form is available for download here and also from the GBC International Centre or ESL Office.

    Your reason(s) for withdrawal must be provided on the Withdrawal/Refund Form. If you are transferring to another Canadian college or university, the name of the school must be identified and funds can be directly transferred to that institution at your request. You are required to notify Citizenship & Immigration Canada of a school transfer through MyCIC.

  • Deadlines

    English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program

    Postsecondary Programs 

    Day 5 of the 8 week session

    Day 10 of the semester

    If a refund request is made within the deadline date, you are entitled to a refund of a portion of the fees paid for the semester or program period, less a non-refundable withdrawal amount.

    Withdrawal Fees By Session/Semester

    English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program  

    per 8 week session

    Postsecondary (Diploma/Certificate/Degree Programs)

    per semester



    IMPORTANT: If you miss the deadline for withdrawal, you are not eligible to receive a refund.

    However, if your withdrawal request is due to a serious medical or family emergency outside of your control, you may appeal to the Director, International Admissions & Student Services for consideration. Official documentation, such as a doctor’s certificate, is required to substantiate any claim of this nature.

    In all cases, the application fee of $95 is non-refundable.

    If you were refused a Study Permit, and have requested a refund within the deadline date, you are eligible for a refund, less a non-refundable administrative fee of $100. You must submit the letter of visa refusal from the Canadian visa office.

    There are no refunds for Health Insurance fees after the withdrawal deadline date.  Refunds may be issued on or before the deadline date if no claims have been made against the plan.  

    If you paid, but did not accept your offer or register, you are eligible for a refund, less a $100 non-refundable administrative fee.  

    Subsequent semesters paid in advance: you are eligible for a refund, less a $100 non-refundable administrative fee, if request is made before the deadline date.

    Current R115 EAP students who pass the GBC Admissions test, providing entry into a certificate, diploma or degree program, and who withdraw from R115 before the deadline date, will not be charged a withdrawal fee.

    Before a refund can be processed, funds covering the tuition fee must have cleared and be in your College account.

    If you paid your fees originally by credit card, refunds can only be made back to the same card.

    If you are eligible for a refund and you want the refund paid to a third party (a person other than yourself or another institution) who paid tuition on your behalf, we require your signed authorization on the Request Form to issue the refund to that person. The person’s complete contact information, including address and telephone number must be provided.

    Refunds will be paid within 6 weeks of the receipt of the Request Form (signed and type-written). The request form must include all required information and documentation. The process may take longer during peak/holiday periods.

    Postponing Or Skipping A Session/Semester

    Please note that CIC regulations have established new study permit conditions requiring all students to enroll in and actively pursue a course or program of study after arrival in Canada.

    However, if you have not registered and are planning to postpone or skip a future semester/session, you must withdraw from your program before the deadline period.  There will be a $100 administrative fee.  If you fail to withdraw before the deadline, you may be charged full semester fees. 

    If you decide to return to the College at a later date, you must re-apply by completing a Re-Admission Form, providing your current GBC ID, and submitted for approval to your academic department.

    R115 EAP students register per 8-week session. Students who are away from the program for between 1- 6 months can register to continue in the program without having to re-apply or re-test. Students who are away from the program for more than 6 months but less than 12 months can register to continue in the program without having to re-apply, but they must re-take the Level Placement Test.  Students who are away from the program for more than 12 months must re-apply and re-test. 

    Notes Regarding The CIC And Study Permits

    Because students holding Study Permits received their permit based on a Letter of Acceptance issued by George Brown College, the College is required to submit to the federal and provincial governments information related to enrolment and/or proof of progress in a program for all international students.  Such information sharing will comply with applicable privacy legislation requirements.  Any change in study status (e.g., you are no longer studying at the College) will be updated with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as per the requirements of the International Student Program.  


    A postsecondary (not high school) level Study Permit is required before beginning studies at the college level.  International students are responsible for ensuring that their Study Permit is valid while they are studying at George Brown College. Students whose Study Permits expire after the withdrawal deadline, but before the completion of their academic program - and who have not applied for a permit extension before the expiry date - may not use an expired Study Permit or requirement for Study Permit restoration as a basis for a refund request after the refund deadline date has passed.

    Changing Fee Status From International To Domestic

    In certain very specific circumstances (e.g., student on parental work permit or submission of specific Permanent Residency documents), students can request a change from international student fee status to domestic. For fee changes to be approved and take affect all required documentation must be submitted prior to the start of term/program. If documents are received partway through a semester, changes can only be made to future terms and not retroactively. Depending on the circumstances for change in student fee status, student might have to pay for and receive international student health insurance plan rather than domestic.

    Please click here to download complete details regarding tuition fees for international students and information regarding exempt student.

    R115 EAP students who are eligible to pay domestic tuition rather than international will be registered in R105 EAP. Students in R105 are required to register for a minimum of one semester (16 weeks) rather than one session (8 weeks).  These students will pay for and receive international student health insurance rather than the domestic plan.

    Last Revised: March 8, 2016