INTENSIVE English PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The next ESL session begins on March 4, 2013.
To learn more about the Intensive English Program at George Brown College you are invited to attend one of our upcoming information sessions and tours scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Wednesday February 6, 13, 20 & 27, 2013, 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
These sessions will be held at our St. James campus (341 King Street East), Room H312.
To register, please fill in the registration form.
English as a Second Language: Video
Get Your Post-Secondary Language Requirement
For students who do not meet the George Brown College English language requirements, the Intensive English Program provides the opportunity for direct entry into College diploma, post-graduate and degree programs.
George Brown’s Intensive English Program offers 9 levels of full-time English instruction.
Each level is 8 weeks long:
- The 8th level will prepare you for diploma and post-graduate (without co-op) studies at George Brown. Successful completion of this level is accepted by George Brown as the equivalent of a TOEFL score of 550 (213, Computer based / 79-80, Internet based) and provides the English qualifications you need to be admitted to most professional programs at the College
- If you are planning to pursue a degree program or post-graduate program with co-op you may continue after level 8 to complete an 8-week Academic Preparation option (Level 9)
- If you are planning to focus on Business courses when you complete the Intensive English Program you can enrol in ESL Business after completing level 6.
- You’ll have access to all College facilities, including free internet and computer use, cafeteria, gymnasium and exercise rooms, and Student Centre
- A helpful staff is available to assist students and can provide service in several languages
- Our on-campus resources include an ESL Resource Centre and a multimedia computer lab for computer-assisted language learning as well as access to videos, tapes, books and periodicals
- Outside of regular classroom instruction, Intensive English Program students are able to engage in informal discussion in our Conversation Group guided by experienced language tutors
- An on-site advisor is available to provide assistance in choosing post-secondary program options.
- New Students are tested the week before the program starts to determine their English ability and their starting level. In the eighth week of their session, students are tested for promotion to the next level. Students study 24 hours per week -- 9AM to 3PM -- from Monday to Friday.
All professors are highly qualified TESL certified university graduates and many have international teaching experience. Our professors are involved in the training of new ESL teachers and practice according to the highest professional standards and current methodologies.
THE ESL BUSINESS PROGRAM
The ESL Business Program at George Brown is designed for students who are planning to enter a full-time Business program. It is available to students upon successful completion of level 6 in the Intensive English Program.
The program focuses on real-life communication skills required in business settings:
- Listening skills for lecture and meeting comprehension
- Pronunciation practice for clear communication
- Writing effective paragraphs and summaries
- Reading and understanding business-related articles
- Discussion of marketing, finance, the stock market, corporate governance and structure, among others
- Projects and activities include simulated investment portfolios, case studies, Internet research assignments, marketing simulations, and business-oriented field trips.
Fees (International Students)
- The base tuition fee is $2,560 per 8 week session (not including administrative/material fees)
- Mandatory Health Insurance costs $108 Canadian dollars per 8 weeks
- A one-time $65 non-refundable application fee is required before issuing a Letter of Acceptance
Students are also required to purchase textbooks in levels 3-9. The cost is approximately $30 every 16 weeks.
Fees (Domestic Students)
Please visit the Domestic Admissions page
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Call the George Brown English as a Second Language School at (416) 415-5000, ext. 6339 or Advising Services, ext. 2949.
For updated information and course descriptions, call 416-415-2000 (TTY 1-877-515-5559) or 1-800-265-2002.