George Brown’s General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program offers 9 levels of full-time English instruction. Each level is 8 weeks long. Upon registration, students take a Level Placement Test to see which level they should start in. Students then progress through the levels, adding to their reading, writing, listening, speaking and grammar skills.
Here are just a few examples of what students can do after these milestone levels:
Level 3 (Upper Beginner)
- Chat with Canadians.
- Give and receive instructions and directions.
- Read texts critically, distinguishing fact from opinion.
- Write short paragraphs.
- Read and interpret tables, diagrams and graphs.
- Express satisfaction and dissatisfaction… and much, much more!
Level 6 (Upper Intermediate)
- Write essays.
- Give oral reports.
- Take and organize notes.
- Summarize and paraphrase.
- Categorize, interpret and explain complex diagrams.
- Debate… and so much more!
Level 8 (Upper advanced)
- Understand audio material, written texts and various media sources.
- Paraphrase and retell or report.
- Make proper citations, take notes, and research strategically in preparation for further college or university studies.
- Identify bias in texts and audio material.
- Deliver researched academic presentations… and, of course, much more!
Click here for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program Key Dates
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program Highlights
- You’ll have access to all College facilities, including free internet and computer use, cafeteria, gymnasium and exercise rooms, and Student Centre Services
- Staff are available to assist students and can provide service in several languages
- Our on-campus resources include an ESL Resource Centre and a Multimedia Computer Lab for computer-assisted language learning as well as access to videos, tapes, books and periodicals
- Outside of regular classroom instruction, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program students can participate in informal discussion in our Conversation Group guided by experienced language tutors, take skill-specific workshops, attend workshops on language and culture, and enjoy many social events with classmates.
- An on-site advisor is available to provide assistance in choosing post-secondary program options.
- All professors are experienced professionals, trained in the most up to date ESL teaching methods.
Register for an information session