Thursday, February 26, 2015
This year's theme was “Thriving on Campus: Innovative Approaches to Understanding and Fostering Student Well-being”
George Brown’s annual mental health conference was hosted by George Brown College's Centre for Preparatory & Liberal Studies and Academic Services & Student Affairs departments, with sponsorship from the RBC Foundation.
Presenters and attendees explored:
- Approaches to mindfulness and validation when coping with or aiding others with their mental health.
- Innovative research on self-regulation, learning and student success.
- Promising practices to support student well-being at post-secondary institutions through suggestions from student panelists.
- The connection between anxiety and stressors, as well as manners to reduce and cope with anxiety in the classroom and on campus through self-regulation.
Thank you to our key presenter, Dr. Stuart Shanker; our guest speakers Lyn Courey and Mike Menu, from Sashbear Organization; and the Conference Moderator Tenniel Rock, as well as our faculty and student panelists.
Key Presenter Info
Dr. Stuart Shanker is a Distinguished Research Professor of Philosophy, Psychology and Education at York University. Among his many books are Calm, Alert and Learning: Classroom Strategies for Self-Regulation (2012); Human Development in the 21st Century (with Alan Fogel and Barbara King, 2008); Early Years Study II (with J. Fraser Mustard and Margaret McCain, 2007); Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual (as a member of the PDM Steering Committee, 2006); and The First Idea (with Stanley Greenspan, 2004).
Over the past decade, Shanker has served as an adviser on early child development to government organizations across Canada and the United States and in countries around the world. Most recently, he served as the 2012 Thinker in Residence for Western Australia. In Canada, he is currently the CEO of the MEHRIT Centre, Ltd., (www.mehritcentre.com), and is assisting in the rolling out of a self-regulation classroom initiative with several superintendents under the auspices of the Ministry of Education in British Columbia, Yukon, North West Territories and Ontario.
The forum took place at:
George Brown College
(St. James Campus)
George Brown College
Financial Services Building
290 Adelaide Street East, Room 406
Presentations (coming soon...)
Thanks to the generous permission of our conference key presenter, Dr. Stuart Shanker, these PowerPoint presentations are available.
Please ensure that you credit the author when citing his work. (Note: all presentations are in PDF format)
- “Applying Research to Practice in the Field of Self-Regulation”
- “Self-Regulation and Anxiety”